Keeping your home’s exterior in a spick and span condition is as necessary as interior cleanliness in uplifting its curb appeal and making it attractive in the eyes of buyers.
So what about that vinyl cladding covered beneath the storm of dust, mildew, pollen, and rust, screaming out loud to be refreshed? Don’t know how to get your vinyl siding out of this trouble? We have got your back; here’s a step-by-step guide to pressure-wash vinyl siding. So let’s dive straight into it.
Types Of Pressure Washer To Pressure Wash Vinyl Siding
There are two major categories of pressure washers: Electric pressure washers and Gas Pressure washers.
An electric pressure washer is good to go for single-story homes, while a gas pressure washer is ideal if you have a double-story home and extensive footage to wash.
SCHEDULE SERVICE FROM YOUR FAIRFAX LOCAL HANDYMAN & HOME IMPROVEMENT SPECIALIST!
However, an ideal pressure washer for pressure washing house siding must be in the range of 2500 to 3000 PSI.
Typically, it comes with two types of nozzles.
- Colour-coded nozzles in which colors indicate the spraying angle. For example, red 0-degree nozzle, yellow 15-degree, green 25-degree, and white 40-degree.
- Adjustable nozzles pressure washers are the most convenient because you can change the spraying angle and pattern with a simple twist.
There is no restriction on choosing the nozzle; you are free to pick any of them.
Learn more: What’s the best way to clean vinyl floors
Pick The Right Cleaners For Power Washing Vinyl Siding
Here comes an exciting part of vinyl pressure washing. A bleach or cleaner strips off all the dirt, mould, and tough stains on your vinyl cladding.
Ideally, you have three choices in vinyl siding cleaner or bleach.
- Vinegar with water
- Chlorine bleach
- Oxygen bleach
Vinegar With Water
Mixing thirty percent vinegar with seventy percent water can make an all-purpose vinyl siding cleaner. However, it’s only suitable if the mildew and filth stains are easy to wash off.
Learn more About: How To Calculate Handyman Estimate
Chlorine bleach is another excellent alternative to ditch stubborn stains. But the difficulty with chlorine is that it can harm plants and animals and even cause discoloration of the siding. But hold your horses; we have a solution for it.
According to the department of public health, mixing 1 tbsp of chlorine bleach with one-quarter of water is the safest way to pressure wash vinyl siding.
Oxygen bleach is a holy grail as it’s the most eco-friendly alternative for cleaning vinyl siding and does not harm siding. One cup of bleach with one-gallon water can turn the tired and unpleasant vinyl siding into a squeaky clean one.
Learn more: 9 Things You Should Never Pressure Wash
Steps To Clean Vinyl Siding With Pressure Washer
It’s time to get down to business. There is nothing like spraying the cleaner and getting an eyesome of siding with the wink of an eye. You have to put effort into it.
1. Safety Gear Comes First
- Before starting the job, wear goggles, safety pants, and closed-toe shoes.
- Cover the electrical components and landscaping area so chemicals would not damage it.
- Closed windows and doors, if any.
- Remove furniture and other objects, and make the area ready to work.
2. Apply the Bleach
If the vinyl siding is too bad with mildew and fungus, which is normal, it’s better to start with spraying bleach. You can choose any as mentioned above and make its cleaning solution.
Explore our other Services Areas in Northern Virginia.
- Handyman Services in Falls Church, VA
- Handyman Services in Vienna, VA
- Handyman Services in Annandale, VA
- Handyman Services In Burke, VA
- Handyman Services in Alexandria, VA
Apply to the area concerned, scrub with a microfiber cloth or soft-bristle brush, and rinse with a pressure washer setting it at the low-pressure mode. Over and above, try to pressure wash vinyl siding during moderate temperatures because the high temperature evaporates the bleach fast and will give you no benefit.
3. Spray With Detergent
Plain water treatment could be enough if there is no in-dirt and rugged mildew on the siding. Mostly, you use detergent specified for the power washer to get the job done. To play on the safe side, follow the instructions given with the pressure washer to prevent any mess.
- Add the black soap nozzle to the pressure washer wand.
- Apply it on the siding from bottom to top, and hold the wand straight or slightly diagonal to prevent the water from getting trapped behind the siding.
- Add a rotating brush to wash out rock-ribbed dirt spots.
- Let the detergent set for two to three minutes to break off all the grim and filth. Switch the setting to low-pressure washing.
Our more Handyman Indoor Services in Northern Virginia Areas.
1. Handyman Carpenters In My Area
2. Rot Wood Replacement and Repair
3. Tile Installation & Repairs
4. Handyman Pressure Cleaning Services
5. Door Installation & Repair
4. Work In Small Sections
Working in smaller sections( 2 to 3 feet) will help you to get the most effective results. Moreover, it’ll help not to let the detergent dry and save you from lousy detergent scales.
5. Rinse from Top to Bottom
Hold the washer wand at a distance of 1.5 feet from the vinyl siding and rinse from top to bottom. Rinse with a ladder for a double-story home. You can adjust the nozzle setting according to the requirements.
6. Allow Air-drying
Now, let the siding dry; it will take a few hours to a day to dry, depending on the weather conditions.
Congratulations! You have successfully spruced up the vinyl siding. Take your favorite beverage and enjoy it.
For more information Read our blog: How To Repair A Hole In Drywall