A primer for kitchen cabinets may seem like a simple task. Still, it’s crucial to know what alternatives are available and what is required for your project before deciding. The following aspects of cabinet primer in this write-up will aid you in your search.
Let’s look at some possibilities for the best primer for kitchen cabinets and more before we get into how to choose a primer. Check out the best primer for cabinets if you want to prime your pieces as well.
8 Best Primer For Cabinets That Work
Finding the best primer for painting cabinets might be tough due to the many alternatives available. Here are some of our choices for cabinet and cupboard primers to assist you in your quest.
- Zinsser B-I-N Shellac-Base Primer is the first.
- Adhesion Primer by KILZ (Interior/Exterior)
- Zinsser Bondz Maximum Adhesion Primer is the third item on our list.
- Fourth, INSL-X STIX STIX Waterborne Bonding Primer
- Primer/Sealer/Stain Killing Interior/Exterior Zinsser Cover Stain
- Interior/Exterior Primer KILZ 2 All Purpose
- Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Plus Primer is the seventh item on this list
- Ultra Cover Premium Latex Primer by Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch
Learn more About: How Dry Rot Wood Repair
Jim Kitchen Remodeling Fairfax VA
Types of Primers for Kitchen Cabinets
There are several types of primers available, each with its own benefits and drawbacks. Here are the four most common types:
There are Four standard primers for kitchen cabinets:
- Water-based acrylic or Latex primer
- Oil-based or solvent-based primer
- Hybrid acrylic urethane primer
- Shellac-based or alcohol-based primer
Due to different concentrations of VOC (volatile organic compounds), they impact your environment and health differently. Let’s discuss it briefly.
- Water-based primers are easy to dry and work with however have very low durability.
- The oil-based primers are durable but take a long time to dry and give off unpleasant fumes, which can cause respiratory issues.
- Hybrid acrylic urethane primers have the properties of both oil-based and water-based primers. They are easy to work with and durable at the same time.
- Shellac-based or alcohol-based primers work for wood, metal, and plastic. They are highly adhesive but emit more fumes than oil and water-based primers.
Tips for Choosing the Right Primer
When selecting a primer for your kitchen cabinets, consider the following factors:
- Surface material:
Different primers may work better on specific surfaces, such as wood, laminate, or metal. Be sure to choose a primer that is compatible with your cabinet material.
- Stain-blocking needs:
If your cabinets have significant staining or you’re painting over a dark color, choose a primer with strong stain-blocking properties, such as an oil-based or shellac-based primer.
- Odor and cleanup:
If you’re sensitive to strong odors or prefer easy cleanup, a water-based primer may be the best choice for you.
By selecting the right primer for your kitchen cabinets, you’ll be well on your way to achieving a beautiful, durable finish that will last for years to come.
SCHEDULE SERVICE FROM YOUR FAIRFAX LOCAL HANDYMAN & HOME IMPROVEMENT SPECIALIST!
Jim The Handyman provides a wide range of handyman services in the Northern Virginia areas. We are fully licensed and insured, and your satisfaction is guaranteed!
Explore our latest Handyman Articles:
- Should I Paint Trim Or Walls First?
- What’s The Best Way To Clean Vinyl Floors
- Ways To Clean Cabinets Before Painting
- Fairfax VA Carpet Cleaning Services Cost?
- Hire A Good Handyman Before Selling Your Home
What Is the Best Primer to Use While Painting Cabinetry?
Consider the individual demands of your cabinets when picking a primer for painting them, so you can choose the right type and finish. These are the options you have for painting cabinets with a primer.
The three most common finishes for kitchen cabinet primers are as follows:
- Flat/matte: Has no sheen and works well with most paints.
- Flat and glossy properties coexist together in this semi-gloss primer.
- Smooth: Helps to produce an extremely smooth surface and improves the appearance of approved paints when they are glossed.
READ ALSO: Tips for Choosing Handyman Services
Please Also Explore our updated Service Area Locations:
- Handyman Services in Alexandria
- Handyman Services in Annandale, VA
- Handyman Services in Burke, VA
- Handyman Services in Falls Church, VA
- Handyman Services in Mclean, VA
- Handyman Services in Springfield
- Handyman Services in Vienna, VA
WANT US TO PRIMER YOUR KITCHEN
Choose the Best Kitchen Cabinet Primer
Depending on what kind of primer you choose, how it interacts with the surface and the paint will be affected. The following are the primer’s most often employed chemical bases:
- Suitable for enamel paints, oil-based varnishes are versatile and stain and weather-resistant.
- Latex paints are used on wood, stone, drywall, metal, and plaster; they are healthier than oil paints.
- For interior tasks, shellac-based is ideal; it dries quickly and protects against stains.
- Acrylic and latex paints work best with water-based primers, which have properties in common with both oil-based and latex primers.
Please explore Interior Painting Cost Guide
Cabinet Painting Errors to Avoid
When it comes to dealing with your cabinets, it’s important to know both what to do and what not to do. These are the most frequent blunders made by do-it-yourself painters while painting cabinets.
- Keeping the doors and drawers in place.
- incorrectly priming a piece of wood
- Not allowing oneself enough time to do your tasks
- Inadequate sanding of all areas
- Not doing any preparation work before you begin.
- Not putting labels on all of your drawers and cabinets.
Please Explore Our more Handyman Indoor work in Northern Virginia Areas.
1. Handyman Drywall Repair and Finishing
2. Rot Wood Replacement and Repair
3. Tile Installation & Repairs
4. Handyman Pressure Cleaning Services
5. Door Installation & Repair
6. Handyman Painting Services
Related: Removing Paint From Concrete
It’s time to start applying your newfound knowledge of the best primers for cabinets. A Handyman painting company can help you in the best possible way.
Give us a call today at 703-503-9699 or fill out our Request Service form, and let us show you why we’re the best choice for Handyman Services in Fairfax, VA
Read our blog: Hire Good Handyman Before Selling your Home